Sustainable Community Development
The BCRC participates in community and economic development initiatives directed toward supporting sustainable communities throughout the region. The focus of the program is support for the development of local assets and opportunities that foster sustainable local economies, healthy communities, and a high quality of life for residents; areas of activity include, but not limited to: workforce, housing, education, local food systems, downtowns, special community amenities (for example, theaters, streetscape enhancements, recreational facilities,…), and general economic development.
- Identify and develop local resources and assets that support a good quality of life and economic prosperity in all of the communities in the Bennington Region.
- Ensure that communities are positioned to be resilient when confronted by changing and challenging natural or economic conditions.
- Develop and maintain efforts to strengthen local economies while promoting communication and cooperation with communities and market areas in nearby regions and states.
- Protect and foster wise development of key natural resources, including: agricultural land, forest resources, renewable energy (wind, water, sun, geothermal), and scenic rural landscapes.
- Create strong local food systems that provide an increasing share of locally consumed food.
- Expand the availability and use of sustainable transportation modes and systems: pedestrian, bicycle, buses, electric vehicle infrastructure, and trains (freight and passenger).
- Maximize the potential for community’s human resources through targeted education, workforce development, and related services that benefit both businesses and employees.
- Protect and enhance historic downtowns and village centers that provide convenient and accessible services while making communities unique.
- Provide a sufficient quantity of good housing in downtowns, village centers, and surrounding dense residential neighborhoods.
- Support development of recreational and cultural resources and opportunities that can be enjoyed by residents and which make communities attractive to visitors and businesses.